Friday, 5th May 2017
- Year 5 and Year 6 will be having a picnic in Stationers park on Thursday 11th May at 12:00 to say good bye to Indi and Mo. Any contributions to food/drinks are most welcome; children will not need a packed lunch for that day. It would be really helpful if at least two parents could walk with year 5 to the park and make sure they stay with us in the park, as year 5 do not have any additional adults. Any other parents who would like to stay are very welcome to do so; however year 5 will be going back to school at the end of the lunch hour.
- Thank you to all the parents who are helping so much with timetables at home. I can see such a difference in the children’s rapid recall. I have now started testing timetables on a Friday, using the ‘BIG Maths Challenge’, which is a timed test. The children have 100 seconds to complete 72 questions. It is a non-competitive test as children compete with their own previous score and the objective is to improve their score every week. They seem to be really enjoying it at the moment!
We have been writing in role as the cub from ‘Wolf Brother’, focusing on our favourite passage from the first chapters. Some of the writing the children have produced is outstanding, I can see how well they are engaging with the book and it is clearly reflecting in their work. Thank you for taking the time to encourage their reading; this does make a real difference in their writing.
Next week we will be turning an extract from the book into a play script and performing it for the rest of the class.
We have been focusing on Decimals this week, comparing and ordering them as well as relating them to tenths, hundredths and thousandths. Next week we will be carrying on our work on Decimals and move to percentages towards the end of the week.
We have now started our new science topic, Materials. After assessing what we already know, we have begun planning our own investigation, which we will be carrying on throughout the following weeks.
- English: I have picked some activities to tackle what have been some SPAG (Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation) issues across the class. Mainly the use of ‘their/there/they’re’ and using a comma after a fronted adverbial.
- Maths: please complete the decimals worksheets.
- Reading: please read up to chapter 15.
Have a lovely weekend,